Okay, okay! Americans are lousy drivers. Not as bad as Italians or Israelis, but at best distracted by every new electronic gadget in our automobiles. As bad as we are in our cars, I've never talked with a man who didn't think he was Juan Fangio. Likewise, I've never met a man owning a firearm who didn't he was a cross between Sergeant York and Dirty Harry.
Now, after the December massacre at a Connecticut elementary school, the debate has begun over how to prevent more mass shootings.
Here are some ideas for those who think they must have an AR-15 or AK-47 for protection against our despotic government or killing a bad guy. Before someone purchases a firearm, he or she:
- Must receive professional firearm training from a police department. We're talking about more than the current abridged overviews.
- Observe a full autopsy of a gunshot victim. Not a video. I'm talking about a live viewing no more than 10 feet from the corpse during the entire process.
- Be taken to a murder scene to view and smell the carnage.
- Be required to help console a shooting victim's family.
- Experience live ammunition being fired at them 10 to 15 feet over their heads. Rapid fire from semiautomatic weapons would do, but machine guns are best.
- Be observed by a professional law enforcement office and/or psychologist throughout this process.
- Repeat this process every five years.
Anyone who goes through this process unfazed, displaying strange or no affects is probably a sociopathic mass murderer and not be allowed to own a firearm.